We’re now seven weeks into the new year, and I’m currently at home getting ready for my first trip of 2019! At 4:35 p.m. today (yes, today!), I will be headed to New Orleans. I’ve only been once—back in middle school with my family, so I don’t remember much—and I’m so excited to return, explore the city, and, most importantly, eat.
Before I leave, here is a list of my travel goals for the year. Surprisingly for me, there are more domestic places than international ones.
- New Orleans: Happening as we speak. I consider New Orleans to be a must-see city in the U.S. for sure, with its blend of European, African, and Native American culture and history. After spending time in Montreal, the Francophile (“lover of French culture”) in me is curious about France’s influence in another North American city.
- Tampa: This isn’t a very crazy choice since it’s my hometown, and I’m only actually visiting because my mom got tickets to see Hamilton, but Tampa has a lot to offer!
- Turkey: Yes… I’m headed back to the +90 this year. (That’s Turkey’s country calling code.) After listing all the things I miss about Turkey, it will be great to go back and indulge! I’ll finally get to meet up with my boyfriend (who I haven’t seen since we went to Canada last September), as well as his family with their newest addition—Burhan’s sister had a baby girl! We’ll be in Izmir, Antalya, and Istanbul.
- Nashville: This city is on my list of places I’d like to visit in the U.S. (have you realized that I love making lists yet?), and a friend of mine randomly suggested we go. When I think of Nashville, I immediately think of country music, but apparently there’s a lot more to the city than the Grand Ole Opry. I intend to find out.
- New York City: It’s always easy to go to NYC for a weekend getaway by bus or train, so I might go more than once. I definitely plan on visiting this summer to attend the U.S. Open again.
- Las Vegas: This will be the splurge of my year. I’m actually very indifferent to Las Vegas, but my aunt is turning 40 this year, and I want to celebrate with her.
- Any miscellaneous day or overnight trips from Washington, DC—for example, Annapolis, Baltimore, Richmond, Monticello, etc.
- Post regularly: I already have 3 posts this year, so I’m off to a good start! I created a posting schedule to upload something new every 2-3 weeks, and I plan to stick with it.
- Attend a local comic con or anime convention: I know I sound like such a nerd, but I’ve attended Metrocon in Tampa, as well as Tampa Bay Comic Con, and they were such a good time!
- Close the long distance gap with Burhan: This one is worth a few posts alone. I’ve spent the past 2 + years jet-setting around the globe to meet up with Burhan, but I’m ready for us to be in the same place. My trip to Turkey will be our 8th big meetup, and hopefully the last. I love being able to travel so often, but LDRs themselves are expensive and exhausting in so many ways.
- Read more, both fiction and non-fiction: I’m in a few networking groups for professionals in international trade, and one of them has a monthly book club. I convinced myself to participate, so I’m currently reading The Monk of Mokha by Dave Eggers. It’s about a Yemeni-American from San Francisco who goes to Yemen to get into the coffee business and gets caught up in the civil war there. I’ll let you know how I like it. So far, I’m becoming very curious about Yemen, although I still don’t like coffee.
And with that, I’m heading to the airport! Let me know what you think of my goals in the comments. What goals have you set for 2019?
**The picture above was taken at Gare de Marseille-Saint-Charles, the main train station in Marseille, France.